This event is over. See upcoming events
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM (UTC+5.5)
Focus on the Breath: A Breath-Based Hatha Yoga Perspective
The first section of this session will consist of a short lecture focusing on the importance of breath awareness in asana class.
We will cover:
1) The science of the breath in terms of how it impacts our nervous system and vice versa, in particular how modern science is catching up with and reinforcing the wisdom of the ancient yogis regarding the physiological effects of the breath
2) Developing breath awareness in asana class, in particular how the breath guides the asana, not the other way around.
3) Two guidelines to keep in mind regarding the breath when practicing asana. The second section of this session will be applying the theory covered in the first section through a short asana class.
1) Begin with some breath awareness techniques
2) Transition through some beginner-friendly asana while keeping a focus on the breath (I recommend having a blanket nearby for cushioning, and a couple of blocks or alternatively robust, sturdy hardback books to use in the asana practice)
3) End with a few moments of meditation.